Friday, October 5, 2012

The BEAM!

So, my resourceful husband decided that he would build the main roof beam of our house.  It is 48 feet long and 3 boards thick!  He built it in an empty farm shed at our friend's house.  The boys helped by handing him screws.  It became a contest to see who could give him the screws the fastest:)  I had just bathed the boys and they were in their pajamas.  The floor was dirty and after they both were sitting/lying on it, they were both much dirtier than before their bath!  It was completely worth it to watch them "help daddy build the house!"  

It was another project altogether to get the beam moved the 2.5 miles from the shed Peter built it in to our land!  Peter estimates it weighs around 600 lbs.  And it is LONG so it wobbles like crazy.  Peter rigged some wheels on it, attached it to our tractor and he and David drove VERY slowly with lots of breaks to stop the wobbling.  

Then, Peter invented a way to get that really long, REALLY heavy beam hoisted to the peak of our house.  He bought 3 boats cranks to use as pulleys.  I should not be the one writing this!!  The beam is up there but I still don't understand how he did it!  Thankfully, Peter's dad, Craig, helped him and Peter said he doesn't know how he would have done it by himself!  Really, I should have gotten a video of the whole thing and posted it on youtube!  Then you could watch it and build your own house too:)  But, what I DO have is pictures...so here you go:




Halfway there!

The ground is really far below him!

Well done, my genius husband!

It's coming together, and ready for winter

SO cool!  That's our house skeleton!

Northwest corner of house

This will be the future loft...look at the view we will have!:)

1 comment:

Grandma Elvi said...

Genius, indeed! I LOVE the skeleton of your house...and the view...and you!!!